Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

An Eggcellent Easter

Happy Easter everyone! 

One of my favorite things about Easter is of course dying eggs! We used to spread out the newspaper on the kitchen table and dye our colorful eggs with the vinegar and color tablets. This year my Mom and I decided to try something a little different. I kept seeing thing on Pinterest and the Blogosphere for dying eggs using shaving cream...

Say what again?

The white foamy stuff that your dad uses to shave his face? Absolutely. 

We just took a cookie sheet and sprayed it with the shaving cream. All we had was a can of gel shaving cream. I was a little weary of it at first but it turns into the foam when you mix it around with your finger a bit and the color in the gel doesn't dye the egg or effect the dyes. 

We had left over egg dye from before and just dripped dye into different areas of the shaving cream. 



We pretty much swirled the eggs around the dyed shaving cream. It was fun and a little messy. I think this would be more fun for little kids and Mom's who aren't as worried about making messes. 

I thought my Mom had the clever idea of using a meat turner to help swirl eggs without getting the dye everywhere. 

One website I read was to keep the eggs in the shaving creams for at least 4 minutes but they weren't all that bright and colorful so we left them covered in the shaving cream for about a half hour to forty five minutes. 

Afterwards we wiped off the shaving cream off with a paper towel. If you were looking for a way to have really bright and vibrant Easter eggs than this is probably not the way for you to go. However, if you want something fun to do with your kids then this could be a fun way to try out. 


Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment